BY IMAN UMAIR-QAISER
The Grade 9 dance was meant to be lit. (sorry… did not intend to mean that literally.)
This year, MDHS’s Grade 9 Night was set to take place on Thursday, September 28th, 2017. Students who came could dance with their friends while their parents would follow their daily schedules and talk to their teachers.
Unfortunately, the event was canceled when a fire broke out in a technology classroom just after 4:00 p.m. that day, causing damage totaling well over $100,000.
By good chance, no one was in direct proximity of the fire, as students and staff who had stayed after school were evacuated, leaving no one injured. The Milton Fire Department rushed to the scene and extinguished the fire, which was theorized to have been created by the overheating of a tool charger, eventually catching onto the wooden cabinets above.
Classes went on as usual, with the exception of tech classes taking place in the affected hallway, who have been moved to the library until further notice.
The Grade 9 Dance has also been rescheduled to take place on October 26th, as a Halloween Dance! We hope to see all Grade 9s there!